Fiery Steak Frites Recipe
Cook Time: 45 minutes|
- pinch smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp black peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 3 large baking potatoes, in wedges
- sea salt, to taste
- 2-3 sprigs rosemary
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 steaks (preferred cut)
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4 and make the paste for the wedges.
- Using a pestle and mortar grind together the smoked paprika, black peppercorns and cumin seeds.
- Squeeze in a little lemon juice, half the olive oil and taste. Adjust the warmth with black pepper if you like it hotter.
- Rub the paste all over the wedges and sprinkle over some of the rosemary and all of the onions not forgetting to season with plenty of sea salt.
- Roast in the oven for at least 30 minutes before turning them over and cooking until golden brown and cooked through.
- In the meantime heat a griddle or frying pan for the steaks.
- Rub the meat with the remaining olive oil and sprinkle over the chilli flakes, turmeric, garlic and plenty of salt and pepper.
- Griddle for a minute or so on each side or to your liking, rubbing over a few rosemary sprigs every now and again to add some extra flavour. Remove from the heat and allow it to rest for a few minutes before slicing and serving with the wedges.